If we told you that adopting 9 simple lifestyle habits could dramatically extend your life; would you change your lifestyle? In 2004, a group of researchers teamed up with National Geographic to scout out pockets of longevity worldwide. Their 5 designated “Blue Zones” are virtually disease-free, as well as geographically and ethnically diverse. In each location, large numbers of residents live to 100 or older. Here are the identified common lifestyle characteristics.
9 Lifestyle Elements Centenarians Share Worldwide
- Plant-based diets – some meat, vegetarians have a head start here
- 1 glass of wine a day w/ friends at meals (4 of the 5 groups)
- Belong to strong social networks (often faith-based)
- Move Naturally – simple, outside exercise:gardening, walkin
- “Hara hachi bu” Japanese for eat until you are 80% full
- Routines that reduce stress – we’re fond of massage for this one
- “Ikigal/ plan de vida” – maintain a sense of purpose for your life
- Put loved ones first
- Hang with the Right Tribe (others with similar health behaviors)
Dive in, do some research. While some cities and communities are working to incorporate longevity lifestyles into their communities, you could take a do-it-yourself approach. The 9 key lifestyle habits are a great match for Florida year round outdoor living: walking, gardening, swimming, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, bird-watching, biking etc. Live long and prosper!